What causes EMI and RFI?
The vast majority of today’s electrical devices send out signals or radiation in some form. These waves can have different wavelengths and not affect one another, but oftentimes, some of these waves will affect the function of a electronic device. Fuzzy phone calls, pixelated video, and sudden restarts can all be caused by EMI and RFI.
Proper shielding products can help stop these issues. Tech Etch develops and manufactures EMI and RFI shielding products, working side by side with companies to ensure they get the shielding items they need for their products.
How can EMI and RFI affect a Device?
EMI and RFI are serious problems that grow as technology increases. Many companies strive to put out new products throughout the year, improving upon the latest model. More devices are doing more things than ever before and this includes sending out more signals. As these signals flow from place to place, they can interfere with one another and cause disruptions. From bad cell phone reception to the failure of a medical device, the consequences of interference vary widely.
EMI and RFI shielding helps alleviate the chances of serious problems with electronic devices. Shielding products dissipate the signals without stopping them from reaching their destination. That way, the devices can work as they are intended without much risk of causing trouble for other devices or other parts of the same device.
How do Shielding Products Protect Against EMI and RFI?
Shielding products are designed alongside the design of the electronic device. Designers must know which parts of their devices will emit signals and radiation and consider how to filter these effectively.
Shielding products will absorb or reflect waves, directing them elsewhere and allowing for better signals between the device’s many parts. Many are mounted to the printable circuit board of a device for maximum effectiveness. Certain materials and types of metals are better than others for absorbing or redirecting signals and radiation.
When a company needs shielding products for their devices, it’s essential to work with experienced professionals in the field. Tech Etch has spent decades testing shielding products and making adjustments to better understand what works best.
What kind of shielding products can help?
Choosing the right shielding product for an electronic device requires many considerations. Type of shield materials, frequency and SE per EMC compliance standards, space available within the device, and much more must be considered. At Tech Etch, we offer a wide array of EMI and RFI shielding products. Just a few of our offerings include:
- Beryllium Copper Finger Stocks – Perfect for strength and fatigue resistance, our finger stocks offer great conductivity and are available in a range of finishes and mounting styles.
- Die Cut Gaskets – Strong, durable gaskets, our die cuts are available in multi-shield, super-shield, conductive foam, wave shield, and more.
- Shielding Strips – Available in up to 25-foot strips, we provide shielding strips for a wide range of uses.
- Shielding Filters – Filtering dust and shielding from RFI, these filters provide good ventilation, filtering, and conductivity.
- Shielded Honeycomb Vents – High-quality shields, our honeycomb vents allow a low resistance to airflow.
- BeCu Contact Rings – Our contact rings can be made in high volumes and designed in any diameter, providing superior attenuation and excellent durability.
Tech Etch has the tools and talents needed to work closely with any device developer that needs EMI or RFI shielding solutions. Fill out the form below to download the full white paper and learn more about how we can help your business thrive.